Giants 24, Eagles 7

Posting two one-sided victories over Philadelphia this season was easy for the New York Giants, once they made the Eagles one dimensional on offense.

Ron Dayne ran for 93 yards and a touchdown, and the Giants held the ball for all but 16 minutes, 19 seconds while limiting the Eagles to 192 total yards in a 24-7 victory Sunday.

Just like in the Giants' 33-18 win earlier this year, New York took away the Eagles' running game with the NFL's second-best run defense and forced second-year quarterback Donovan McNabb to beat them.

``Without (injured halfback) Duce Staley, that put a lot of pressure on Donovan McNabb,'' Giants defensive end Michael Strahan said. ``He's a great quarterback and he's going to win a lot of games for them, but at this point, it's very difficult for him to carry that load by himself.''

McNabb's job was even tougher on Sunday because it was very difficult to pass on a cold afternoon at Giants Stadium with winds gusting to 22 mph. The result was a 10-of-31 passing performance for 129 yards, an interception and four sacks.

Six of the Eagles' 13 offensive series ended without a first down. Philadelphia only generated two potential scoring drives, and didn't get on the scoreboard until McNabb threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Charles Johnson with 5:12 to play.

The rushing numbers told the story. The Giants gained 152 yards on 44 carries, while the Eagles rushed 11 times for 72 yards, with 42 coming on three scrambles by McNabb, who was blitzed from all angles.

``He didn't have too many opportunities,'' said Giants linebacker Jessie Armstead, who set up Emmanuel McDaniel's interception by tipping a fourth-quarter pass. ``I know he wanted to get the ball back, but our offense did a great job of driving the ball down the field all day.''

Kerry Collins threw a 27-yard touchdown pass to Amani Toomer, Joe Montgomery scored on a short run and Brad Daluiso kicked a 31-yard field goal for the Giants. They gained 384 yards in total offense in winning their third straight game.

``For some reason, it seems like we have an answer for everything they do,'' said Collins, who completed 22 of 37 for 253 yards and no interceptions. ``We always feel like we have a good game plan and we pick up their blitz packages, which is big.''

The win was only the Giants' third in 12 games after a bye week, and it put them into a tie for first place in the NFC East with Washington. The Redskins play the Tennessee Titans on Monday night.

The Giants' time of possession - 43:41 - was the most by the Giants since Nov. 20, 1983, when they held the ball for 45:43 against the Eagles.

``It was windy and there was a little snow, but there were plays to be made and I didn't make them,'' McNabb said. ``But no matter how things were going, I felt we were just one big play away from getting back into it.''

The Eagles never made that play, and coach Andy Reid took the blame for that, in both games against New York this season.

``Obviously, we have to go back to the drawing board and work something out,'' said Reid, whose team had won four of its last five. ``We are a better football team than we showed in both of these games.''

After failing on a fourth-and-7 at the Eagles 29 on the opening series, the Giants took the lead for good on their next possession, going 74 yards in five plays.

Collins made three big plays to set up Dayne's 1-yard smash up the middle. He completed a 36-yard pass play to Tiki Barber on a short crossing pattern and then found Toomer for 13 yards on the next play. A 6-yard scramble got the ball to the 1.

The Giants increased the lead to 14-0 with 1:31 left in the half on a 27-yard pass from Collins to Toomer. The drive capped a three-play, 32-yard drive that was set up when the Giants defense forced Philadelphia to punt from its own end zone after a three-and-out series in which the Eagles held the ball for 23 seconds.

Toomer, benched two weeks ago against Dallas in the Giants' last game before their bye, matched his career best with nine catches for 108 yards.

The closest the Eagles came to scoring in the first half came in the final seconds when David Akers missed a 48-yard field-goal attempt into the wind.

Back Home Next