Giants 19, Redskins 17

In a turnover-marred game played on an ugly, rainy day, the New York Giants found something spectacular - Jeremy Shockey.

Shockey caught 11 passes for 111 yards and Matt Bryant kicked four field goals, leading the Giants to a 19-17 victory over the Washington Redskins in a game decided by turnovers and delayed by a 10-minute fourth-quarter video review.

The game had been hyped as the return of five-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jessie Armstead, who played at Giants Stadium for the first time since he was waived by New York (6-4) and signed by the Redskins (4-6).

Shockey stole the show by coming within two catches of tying the team's single-game record. Giants tight ends had only 17 catches all last season.

``I knew he was a go-to guy,'' Armstead said. ``You can't name too many tight ends who are better than Shockey in this league. Although he is a rookie, he's an advanced rookie, and I would take him to war with me any day.''

Shockey caught a key 13-yard third-down pass from Kerry Collins to set up Bryant's game-winning 19-yard field goal with 11:56 to play.

``I guess Kerry felt comfortable delivering it to me, and the timing was good,'' said Shockey, who was the 14th pick overall in the draft out of Miami.

After several catches, Shockey urged the fans to cheer louder, a couple of times after his helmet was ripped off.

All of Shockey's catches were nearly wiped out in the closing minutes by the long video review that first prevented Washington from challenging a possible fumble by Tiki Barber, and later wiped out a New York first down.

``I don't know what the heck was going on,'' Redskins cornerback Champ Bailey said. ``I was talking to the field judge for five minutes, and he didn't have a clue what was going on either.''

Washington eventually drove the Giants 25, but James Tuthill slipped on a 42-yard field goal attempt and Lance Legree blocked the low line drive with 3:11 to play.

The victory was the third straight for the Giants, who remain a game behind the Eagles in the NFC East.

However, the Eagles face the prospect of playing the next two months without quarterback Donovan McNabb, who broke his right ankle in a win over Arizona.

``I thought our guys showed a lot of courage and guts,'' said coach Jim Fassel, whose team rallied from a 17-10 third-quarter deficit. ``I'm proud of them; that was an important win. It gives us three in a row, and that's what we have been talking about - playing, winning and streaks.''

Bryant, who had missed three of his previous four attempts, also had field goals of 43, 34 and 19. Collins also threw a 35-yard touchdown pass to Amani Toomer, who had eight catches for 95 yards.

Collins finished 22-of-46 for 211 yards and two interceptions.

Bryant's second-half field goals were set up by a 28-yard punt return by Delvin Joyce, a fumble by Ladell Betts on a kickoff return and an interception by Jason Sehorn. The game-winner was also helped by a third-down roughing-the-passer penalty against Redskins linebacker Jeremiah Trotter

Shane Matthews threw touchdown passes of 6 yards to Willie Jackson and 11 to Rod Gardner. Tuthill kicked a 31-yard field goal for the Redskins.

The first quarter touchdown to Jackson was set up by a taunting penalty against Giants cornerback Will Allen after he stopped a receiver well short of a first down.

Tuthill's field goal was set up by a second-quarter interception by safety Ifeanyi Ohalete. David Terrell's pick in the third quarter helped break a 10-10 halftime tie. Matthews hit Gardner on the next play.

Washington's last real chance at scoring was set up when referee Tom White took more than 10 minutes to decide that Giants halfback Tiki Barber went out of bounds on a third-down run short of a first down at the Giants 34.

Washington coach Steve Spurrier challenged, questioning whether Barber fumbled and the Redskins recovered.

White eventually decided Washington could not challenge the fumble. He let Spurrier challenge the spot and White ruled it short of a first down.